Home
Glendale
Past and Present
What's Here
GHP Museum
Visit Glendale
Membership
Pancake Breakfast

 

 

“Preserving the Past for the Future”

Glendale Heritage Preservation was founded by Doreen Gove and other concerned Glendale citizens when they became aware that there were no safeguards to local property development. GHP was started in 1974 and immediately began the process of mapping the village and cataloguing existing buildings. These efforts and more led to the Glendale National Historic Landmark District being awarded by the Department of the Interior in 1976. A plaque in the village square attests to this fact. GHP is headquarters at the old CH&D railroad depot (1880) which serves as museum, gift shop, and archive storage facility as well as a meeting place for the organization. As a non-profit corporation, GHP is funded by membership dues, the annual pancake breakfast fund raiser, and by occasional bequests and grants.

A Little About Glendale

Incorporated in 1855, Glendale covers about one square mile and has a population of 2600. The village is nestled between Sharonville and Springdale, just fourteen miles north of Cincinnati and the Ohio River. It is governed by a mayor and six councilmen who are paid exactly the same as they were in 1855: absolutely nothing. The village, conceived as a totally independent community, has its own water works, sewer system, and police department, as well as a modern volunteer fire department.

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the Village's 392 acre Historic District was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976. With this special recognition, Glendale was placed on a level with the Charleston Historic District and the Alamo. The Village was chosen for this distinction because it was the earliest known planned subdivision in America laid out in a curvilinear plan according to topography. (Prior to this towns were normally laid out in a grid pattern.) Glendale is also known as the first planned railroad commuter town in the nation.

The Village of Glendale maintains its own website at http://www.glendaleohio.org

Did You Know?
     

This site is maintained by the Glendale Heritage Preservation.
Site design created by Two-Fish Computing.